Tuesday 9 July 2013

Sizzle and Fry

Remember I told you all about the rain and how everyone was fed up and wanted it to stop?
Well mother nature did indeed hear us and turned off the water works, She then promptly turned the sun on high so that we were set at sizzle and fry.

Now instead of rain we are getting temps that are over 35 each day, and when you add the humidity, the temperature soars into the 40's. If you don't have the metric system, that would be in the high 90's and 100's... lets just say its HOT!

All this heat has two consequences for me, The first as I have mentioned before is I work from home. So because of this, I have a home office. My job requires that my office be a quiet place away from the hustle and bustle of normal family life in a room all to its self. It also requires for privacy reasons, we have the door shut when we are working.

 My office is located at the front of our house in what was originally a sun room, key word there..Sun Room.....  My office has six very large windows, they are very old and have the original storm windows screwed right over them. They do not open. I have a fantastic view, but in this heat I don't get to enjoy it. I have large dark curtains over the windows to try and keep out some of the heat. Lets just say its an epic fail, The temperature in my office during this heat wave was 47 degrees at one point.... that's 116 Fahrenheit.
 Now a year ago I had asked my husband to unscrew one of the storm windows and make it so one of my windows opened. He bought the screen but but that's as far as it went, This year I had to take drastic measures.
 First, I just whined a lot, that didn't work. I decided to try guilt (Guilt is a wife's best tool when she has a husband who doesn't respond to whining)

 First I made a post on face book mentioning how hot it was in here and that I felt like a puppy trapped in a car on a hot day (which is absolutely true.. I really did feel that way) Why facebook you ask? Well because my husband's friends would see it and so would mine, they would offer to help the situation and build me a window, which would prompt my husband to keep his promise and build one before any one else stepped in to do his job.
 Evil, I know but I was desperate.
 The second measure I took was to invite my husband to watch a short video with me in my office on my lunch break, as we don't get to spend much time together during my 8 hour shift, I knew he would agree.
 Mission accomplished. With in seconds he was sweating and complaining of how hot it was and saying " I think we should watch this another day hun" my response was  "Imagine what it is like in here all day???"

 Some of John boys friends began giving him tips on how to build a window, which of course embarrassed him into action, And on Sunday he actually built me one!!
Now if only I could guilt mother nature into whipping up some wind, life would be perfect.


The second problem everyone is having with the heat wave is sleep, By the time night time rolls around everyone's entire home is hot and it leads to tossing and turning all night. Unless you are John boy.... He has an internal off switch , every night at 11 o'clock it shuts off and he is out. Not me, I am still awake flipping the pillow over trying desperately to find the cool side and rearranging the fan hoping it will hit me enough to cool me down. If only I wasn't so tired with all these extra hours in my day as a result of not sleeping I could get so much done, but I am too exhausted.

 I know I am not alone,everyone is complaining of being sleep deprived. Two weeks ago we were all grumbling about the rain, now we are praying for a good old fashioned thunderstorm to break up the heat. There really is no pleasing us!

 Here are some pictures of the window build :)



This is one of the cursed storm windows that was screwed over the inside window

John Boy fitting the screen frame over the window

John and Brent Double checking to make sure it will fit

Adding the screen






No comments:

Post a Comment